July 4th, 1610, Polish-Muscovite War. Battle of Kłuszyn.
Pictured: Winged Hussar Formation
12 days before the battle, a Polish army of 15,000 men under Hetman Stanisław Żółkiewski encountered a Muscovite advance party of 8,000 men. The Muscovites immediately threw up field works and dug in. The Poles were intent on besieging them, but the main Muscovite formation, numbering over 35,000 men, was on its way. On July 3rd, Żółkiewski decided to take a force of around 6,500 men to confront the main Muscovite force.
Stumbling upon each other in the darkness of night, the Poles took the time to regroup themselves, while the Muscovites dug in, aided by an agricultural fence. Cavalry could only charge the Muscovite line in a very small gap in the center.
Though outnumbered, the Polish army composed mostly of the fierce Winged Hussars, with some 400 Cossack Cavalry and 200 infantry in support.
In an epic five hour battle, the Winged Hussars made charge after charge, expertly retreating and regrouping to charge again. A cavalry counter-charge by Muscovites was annihilated, and the Muscovite center soon followed. The army went into panic, and routed.
Polish casualties amounted to some 400, Muscovite casualties were over 5,000. The Winged Hussars had once again proved their lethality, despite being outnumbered and fighting against fortified earthworks.